Below is part of an email Get Up! sent out to its subscribers recently. It’s here because of the very first item in the list! I’ve included the rest for context.
“It was the most exclusive of events: a glittering $500 minimum per head gala fundraising dinner last week for a right-wing think tank. Tony Abbott, Gina Rinehart and Rupert Murdoch took turns sharing the stage. Andrew Bolt was MC. Tony praised his fellow key-note speakers, especially Rupert, and promised the crowd a “big yes” to many of the think tank’s list of 75 policies to radically transform Australia.
“So what, exactly, is on this think tank’s wish list?
Public broadcasting – gone. The ABC to be broken up and sold off, SBS to be fully privatised.
- Corporations to be allowed to make secret payments to political parties.
- Medicare gone for most Australians.
- A return to WorkChoices, just by another name.
- The clean energy fund and the renewable energy target – scrapped.
- Funding for sport and arts – including the Australian Institute of Sport – axed. Same for science, with the CSIRO to be privatised. “
For Friends of the ABC, item 1 is of deep concern.